- pillow plates
Over the last 25 years, laser welding a dimple/ pillow plate has become a mature competitor to traditional resistance spot and seam welding. These pillowplates are used in temperature controlled tanks and heat exchangers. Pillowplates can be in a single or double embossed format.
Single and double embossed panels are used for:
- Tank building for the food sector (milk, beer, wine, and others)
- Tank building for chemical industry
- Evaporator plates.
- Falling Film Water Chillers.
- Ice banks.
- Conical mixers and bottoms, dimple jacketed vessels.
- Heat exchangers for cooling, heating or drying.
Advantages of pillow plates / dimple plates:
- Less chance of leaks due to high quality welding.
- Higher heat transfer coefficients at lower flow rates.
- High efficiency in energy transfer/ dimple patterns enable better flows resulting in high-energy efficiency.
- Pillowplate is integrated in the structure, giving it extra strength.
- According to the application any design is possible.
Major advantages of laser welding a dimple jacket are:
- Faster production with less material.
- Very strong, reliable, constant high-quality welds.
- Convenient for the welding of stainless steel, carbon steel, duplex, titanium and numerous other alloys.
- Less deformation during welding, because of relatively low heat-input by the laser beam.
- Ihe inside of the tank is not affected. No rework needed, even the protective film can stay on during welding.
- Unlimited under-plate thickness, as the laser beam only penetrates from one side.
- As any shape can be designed and welded, tailored solutions can be created.
- Fully automated welding-process with low cost of labour and high-quality end product. Already in 1990 Zenna developed the first laser welding system for stainless steel panels.